Thursday, March 11, 2010

God speaks to me through parenthood

God speaks to me through his word, through music, through his creation, and through my role as a parent.

God is our heavenly Father - now that i am a parent, i understand this relationship more.

will is 20 months old and doesn't understand everything, but he understands a lot. he has a strong will. he doesn't always want to obey. he wants things his way. when he disobeys, he likely gets hurt or hurts something else. i tell him, you need to obey me. sometimes i remove him from the situation before he gets hurt - this may make him cry for a few minutes, but i know what is best and i am looking out for him. he does not like to be still. there are moments when he is still, and i love it! i know it's then that he's learning something new. sometimes i need him to be still (diaper change) and if he's not, things don't work out as good (he gets a diaper wedgy - haha - just thought of that one). even though he can frustrate me to no end, i still love him. he makes me laugh - brings me joy!

the same can be said about me.

i am 28 years old, and i don't understand everything, but i understand a lot. i have a strong will. i don't always want to obey. i want things my way. when i disobey, i likely get hurt or hurt something/someone else. God tells me, you need to obey me. sometimes he removes me from the situation before i get hurt - this may make me cry, but God knows what is best and he's looking out for me. i don't like to be still (like, in the quiet with no distractions) except when going to sleep. there are moments when i am still before the Lord and I can feel God smiling. that is when he is able to teach me the most and show me something new. sometimes, God needs me to be still, and if i'm not, things don't work out as good. i miss opportunities - i'm not able to give godly wisdom and encouragement - i'm not able to just be there for someone. even though i know i frustrate God to no end, i know he still loves me. i pray i bring him laughter and joy.

1 comment:

  1. Really beautiful Laura. I too have had those moments while parenting where I've thought, Ugh, this must be how God feels about me. I've found more character flaws in me by being a parent than I would have otherwise. Being a thoughtful parent does make one wiser.

    ReplyDelete