Thursday, March 10, 2005

Burton memories

they moved my grandma to a nursing home yesterday. they tried to avoid it as long as they could. about a year ago this time, i went to visit her. she was still living at her old house. it was shortly after my grandpa passed away. i had called her the night before. but when i showed up the next day, she couldn't place me. she hasn't really known me ever since.

strange how the brain works. she had talked to me on the phone just the night before. she knew me by name. 12 hours later she couldn't make the pieces of the puzzle come together all the way. it was almost like i could see in her eyes how much she wanted to figure it out.

my grandpa was a beekeeper among other various and odd things. he also did photography in his basement and he was a sucker for any kind of new tool or gadget. anyway, i remember staying with them when i was young and we would be sitting eating supper. i would look over and see bee stings on my grandpa's arms and hands and neck. i couldn't understand how he could stand so much pain. i guess it doesn't sound so bad, but i thought it was just awful at the time. i will always remember the smell of the honey house and the chewing and chewing of sweet honey comb wax.

No comments:

Post a Comment