Sunday, September 25, 2005

art crit

"a vandal is somebody who throws a brick through a window. an artist is somebody who paints a picture on that window. a great artist is somebody who paints a picture on the window and throws a brick through it."
quote found in New Yorker at some point in time.

in college i had to take art criticism. i think it was my least favorite class. even moreso than public speaking and chemistry. being a part of that class was like being in a conversation, or debate rather, with someone about the coexistence of predestination and free will. like riding an eternal ferris wheel - you never really get anywhere. i mean, art is art. it's awesome and it works - just leave it at that. that's my opinion anyway

if you like duct tape and you're a girl, look up www.carlystipe.com.

the portrait below that i did of my grandfather was done in chalk. i really like that media. it's fast and it's forgiving.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:34 PM

    Yeah, I hated that class too. I was reminded of that class just the other day, can't remember what made me think of it. Funny you bring it up too. Hope things are going well for you! Love ya! ~Karen

    ReplyDelete